The A38 features new output device technology which practically eliminates thermal modulation of audio signals to ensure a truly dynamic and transparent reproduction. The brand new preamp design using studio grade components and new power amplifier stages deliver a result which exceeds expectations and raises the bar for specialist integrated amplifiers in general.
With over 30 years of audiophile engineering experience, Arcam is one of the UK’s most respected audio companies. The new A38 stereo integrated amplifier is the latest in a long family line of award winning HiFi.
The A38 design team was given a simple goal; to develop the best performing stereo amplifier Arcam had ever produced. Although a huge task, the team dug deep into the basic structure of amplifier design and the result was a remarkable improvement in fidelity.
An in-house research project yielded a wealth of information concerning the influences of thermal conditions on power amplifier performance. As a result the A38 features a number of new technologies which practically eliminate thermal modulation of audio signals and ensure truly dynamic and enthralling reproduction. New Sanken output devices and dramatically improved thermal coupling provide an extremely stable device temperature resulting in much improved linearity.
The massive torroid based power supply delivers effortless power with a new low noise topology improving transient response. A new pre-amplifier design, featuring hermetically sealed “reed” relays from Arcam’s range topping C31 pre-amplifier; deliver a wonderfully transparent signal to each power amplifier. Reed relays offer extremely low contact resistance and virtually infinite life span. An all new volume control (Burr Brown PGA2320) gives unprecedented linearity and noise performance allowing fine details to be reproduced in startling clarity.
• All new audiophile pre-amplifier design with very low noise and distortion
• Very short audio signal path for cleanest possible sound
• No tone controls for lowest distortion and noise
• DC coupled using servo to remove any DC from input signals
• New improved Burr Brown volume control
• High quality Burr Brown op-amps in signal path
• Hermetically sealed reed relay input switching with immeasurable distortion and noise*
• Four-layer printed circuit boards allow control of power supply reduction of electrical noise
• Processor mode option for seamless integration with AV surround decoders
• Audiophile grade Stargate and Rubicon capacitors for signal transparency
• Optional single stage MM/MC phono preamp
Power amplifier features
• 105wpc continuous power output (8ohms, both channels driven)
• 200wpc continuous power output (4ohms, 1kHz, one channel driven)
• Fully discrete transistor power amp stages with temperature compensation
• Current feedback design ensuring wide bandwidth for high resolution audio
• Two pairs of individually selectable gold plated speaker outputs
• All DC coupled signal path for enhanced bass control
• All new thermal management for exceptional sonic stability
-Power supply features
• Massive toroid mains transformer
• User switchable between 115v and 230v mains supplies
• Dual rectified power amp supplies for reduced ground noise
• Separate smoothing per channel to reduce crosstalk
• Independently rectified and regulated pre-amp power supplies
• Supplied with CR90 system remote control
• All gold plated input / output connectors
• Large, clear VFD dot matrix display
• Size – 430mm (17") wide, 370mm (14") deep, 110mm (4.2") high
• Weight 9.5kg (20.9lbs) nett, 12.5kg (27.5lbs) packed